To make something special for the birds in your neighborhood, gather some medium-size dried sunflower heads, herbs, tall grasses, and flowers with seed heads.
1. Start with a straw or vine wreath base. You can find these in most craft stores.
2. Use floral wire or heavy thread, as needed, to hold the wreath together and secure bird treats to it.
3. Attach sunflower heads all around the wreath.
4. Stick assorted flowers (coneflowers, zinnias, black-eyed Susans, or any others with a good supply of seeds) in between the sunflowers. Dried baby corn is another great addition.
5. Finally, stick herbs and grasses all around.
Now you are ready to hang the wreath where the birds will find it and where you'll enjoy watching them eat.
Illustration by Margo Letourneau