Let's celebrate Thanksgiving with some fun facts.
- A male turkey is called a tom, a female is a hen, and a youngster is a poult.
- The loose skin below a turkey's chin is called a wattle. The warts on the wattle are called the caruncles.
- Turkey eggs are pale creamy tan with brown speckles.
- Mature turkeys have about 3,500 feathers.
- Only male turkeys gobble (females click).
The END of hurricane season
This year's Atlantic hurricane season ends November 30! There will be a new list of names for the 2019 season. Is your name listed? Andrea, Barry, Chantal, Dorian, Erin, Fernand, Gabrielle, Humberto, Imelda, Jerry, Karen, Lorenzo, Melissa, Nestor, Olga, Pablo, Rebekah, Sebastien, Tanya, Van, and Wendy.
astronomer, November 9, 1934
Alan Shepard, Jr.,
astronaut, November 18, 1923
astronaut, November 19, 1956
astronomer and inventor, November 27, 1701
QUESTION OF THE DAY
Who was the first aeronautical fatality, and under what circumstances did this death occur?
November comes from the Latin word novem, nine, because this had been the ninth month of the early Roman calendar.